In recent times, no word has received lots of recognition like the word wellness. It has spiked a movement where celebrities and socialites alike have made it a lifestyle to trend. Everybody seems to be jumping on the bandwagon. Naturally, there is a tendency to think of it as a fad..a buzz word that will go the way of others before it and probably end up in oblivion.
Trends are usually a flash in the pan wonders. They make the noise, attract so much time…but then lose steam and fade
There is a danger with having that type of thought though. Wellness is beyond a buzz word or a fad..well, it should be.
Wellness is about your life…in its entirety. Its about learning how to depend you to live your best life possible. It is about being more intentional with the lifestyle choices you make. It is about making and being the positive force in your environment.
When you see wellness this way, you know you are doing that word a disservice by seeing it just as a fad.
Let me tell you a few dangers associated with that thought;
- you become easily swayed by every scheme promising you results
- you fall prey to the get-it-now syndrome because…you want to achieve that result before “wellness” finishes
- you dont think about your health but about aesthetics
- you simply are not bothered because you dont do fads
- you wait for the buzzword to die out while continuing on the dangerous path of your unhealthy living
- you shun help from professionals, such as myself, because, they dont know you or what you have been through
- you open yourself to conditions such as organ failure, hypertension, diabetes, obesity and become a statistic
- you spend an incredible amount of money on stuff you dont need for results that are at best elusive
- you are not willing to invest the required time and resources
In contrast, living a true life of wellness;
- you strive for sustainable habits
- your lifestyle choices become more holistic
- you seek less of outside validation than personal satisfaction
- you become a connoisseur of positivity
- you dont approach your wellbeing from the perspective of what others are doing
- you become the power that you seek, building resilience in yourself
- you are happier and healthier
- self love and a deeper appreciation for others become your reality
So, yes, wellness is beyond a buzzword. Yes, there are some aspects of wellness such as diets that seem to be a fad that has come to stay. But lets face it…have they really? There is always a new diet, different or closely related to the last that will promise amazing results. So, you find that you are yo-yoing. However, what should trend – which is healthy eating – is not as glamorous. Is seen as boring…and maybe too “affordable”?
Do you agree? Or not? Kindly share your thoughts.